Dune: Part Two (2024) - film review

To be frank, I think I'm not so used to seeing (drastically) raved reviews of, not just Dune: Part Two, but any movie, and then to have to objectively lower my own expectations before seeing it on the big screen myself so as to avoid any sort of disappointment, and also to be able to review it as neutrally as I can.


Still of Zendaya (right), "Chani", and Timothée Chalamet ("Paul Atreides") in Dune: Part Two
Credit: Warner Bros.

My first viewing of Dune: Part Two was on its day of release in Singapore, in IMAX. Because of the above-mentioned, I finished the film impressed nonetheless, but also couldn't quite quantify the film's quality, resulting in a rating-less review on Letterboxd. A month passed, and I took my mum to my second viewing (which was her first), and I finally managed to collect my thoughts about the movie.

I'm just gonna say that I find parts one and two vastly different, and to rank one of them above the other is probably impossible. However, if I were forced to pick which one I like more, I'd say Dune part one.

Dune part one had a (much) more stable pacing, almost linear structural progression from how A led to B, which worked well for me as a more logical and rational person, even though I'm artistically inclined at heart. Of course, many would challenge me saying that "the first instalment was just world-building for the most part". Yes, but so is part two! New characters, new places, new relationships all unfold in part two, and all serving the bigger narrative of the trilogy at large. How is that not world-building, too? Yet, part two is (also) intrinsically tougher to follow and digest altogether, naturally. I hate stating the obvious, but really - while I think Villeneuve gave his best attempt in expanding this world and portraying what follows the first film - the complexities of some of it just won't land as well for some viewers, or would require them to watch it multiple times to better understand it. This is as close to paradoxical as it can get for any second instalment to a dystopian fictional franchise honestly.


Still of Austin Butler ("Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen) in Dune: Part Two
Credit: Warner Bros.

Bearing all that in mind, the complexity of Dune: Part Two's narrative and the sheer amount of details to take in (and remember), could all hardly constitute a weakness, as far as the film's quality is concerned. For one, it was refreshing to meet new characters - Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen (played by Austin Butler) and Princess Irulan (played by Florence Pugh) for me in particular, in which I can imagine the former might not be well-liked by some people for the reason that he does not serve much purpose to the bigger story as a whole (those who watched might understand what I'm referring to, without spoiling), but even so, Butler's character was for many others, myself included, one of the film's biggest highlights - almost a scene-stealer if I may add.


Still of Florence Pugh ("Princess Irulan") in Dune: Part Two
Credit: Warner Bros.

Moving on to the technical side of things, it's as if the discussion can't get any more boring - because the craftwork across different departments for this movie is just consistently outstanding. Perhaps the loudest praises ought to be sung for Grieg Fraser the cinematographer. Some of the most striking images I've seen in film in recent years came from Dune: Part Two. The sister to cinematography - film editing, was also incredible in this movie; and visual effects, and sound, and production design... you get the idea.

Ironically, I am a little disappointed by Hans Zimmer's work in this film. Of course, in no way, absolutely, was Zimmer's score bad, at all. When compared to the first film, though, much of the second instalment's music I couldn't recall after the first watch. If it helps, suppose Dune: Part Two was released in 2023 and qualified for the 96th Academy Awards (aka Oscars), Zimmer definitely couldn't have won, and I even dare say his nomination might not have been "locked in".


Still of Timothée Chalamet ("Paul Atreides") in Dune: Part Two
Credit: Warner Bros.

Something I only started to give deeper thoughts to in my second watch: the exploration of religion (and cult) in Dune: Part Two. Disclaimer 1: In retrospect, I now acknowledge it was already present in the first film, but this second instalment portrays it more bluntly and extensively. Disclaimer 2: I am neither advocating for nor against depicting religion in a satirical way in films, for one I respect the fact that religious faith is integral to many people's lives (and I speak as a devout Buddhist myself). It would not be surprising if the most vocal condemners of this film are atheists as well as devoted believers (of any faith for that matter). The lengths this film went to in showing how faith controls and manipulates people will not sit well with certain audiences. That said, from a social commentary viewpoint, this film reminds us of how powerful religion is in dictating the direction(s) a tribe, or population, would take, thereby determining their fate, in times of crisis and war.

Villeneuve said he does not want to rush making the last film of the trilogy, that is Dune: Messiah. Rightfully so. From the technical aspects to the artistic, Dune: Part Two is a visual and aural feast through and through. He has outdone himself, which, while impressive, also means audiences have higher expectations of the last film. Although I personally prefer the previous instalment, filmmaking wise, I think part two is just as well-made, if not more so.

I give Dune: Part Two 8.5 out of 10; 4.5 stars on Letterboxd.

Check out my YouTube review (coming soon) of Dune: Part Two here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mothers' Instinct (2024) - film review

Monkey Man (2024) - film review

Blog and YouTube channel update